cruise ship from esquimalt lagoon



Westhills Recreation Center

Art Sutherland, president, Accent Refrigeration Systems, Victoria, British Columbia, receives first place in the new public assembly category for the Westhills Recreation Center, Langford, British Columbia. The building is owned by the City of Langford.

The 75,000 square foot recreation facility includes a National Hockey League size indoor ice rink, an outdoor ice rink, a skating trail joining the two together, a bowling alley, offices and a restaurant.

The mechanical system for the three ice surfaces are integrated into the building HVAC system to the extent that no fossil fuels are used for the facility other than in the kitchen. The outdoor rink offers an interesting energy balance opportunity in winter by providing additional rejected energy during the heating season. Even with the extensive use of energy, only 40 percent of the waste energy is required within the complex. The remaining 60 percent is pumped 400 yards to the growing Westhills housing development as an energy source for their household heat pumps.

The project turned a typical arena sub-floor heating system into an enhanced geothermal field. It is the first in North America to use new ultra high efficient reciprocating compressors and the first total integration between an ice facility and an entire community. The center also is the first in North America to utilize ammonia heat pumps to heat a housing community and is one of only a few ammonia based air conditioning systems.

ASHRAE, founded in 1894, is a global society advancing human well-being through sustainable technology for the built environment. The Society and its more than 50,000 members worldwide focus on building systems, energy efficiency, indoor air quality, refrigeration and sustainability. Through research, standards writing, publishing, certification and continuing education, ASHRAE shapes tomorrow’s built environment today. More information can be found at


Dec, 12, 2014 

Contact: Jodi Scott

Public Relations - ASHRAE News


This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.


October 2018
30 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31 1 2 3
November 2018
28 29 30 31 1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 1
No events